Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Brave

I never have been a very brave person or a risk taker.  I approach challenges with caution, wanting to be confidant before tackling them head on, afraid of failure and the feelings it brings.  Last summer, we went to a swimming hole in Wimberly, Texas.  There is a rock there that people jump off into the cool water.  I decided that I could do it, no problem.  It wasn't until I was at the top and looking down that I started having doubts.  What in the world was I doing?  What if I slipped on the rock and fell (which was very likely considering how clumsy I am)?  What if I didn't jump out far enough and hit a portion of the rock?  As these thoughts consumed me and I told Chad I didn't know if I could do it, two college age girls started cheering me on, speaking words of encouragement.  It was at this moment that I had to decide that I wasn't going to let fear rob me of the fun I could have, and I did it!

Conner and Caitlyn don't seem to have this problem.  Not only did they make the jump with ease, but they did it multiple times!
Conner and Caitlyn at Jacob's Well
 I am constantly amazed by their bravery in tasks.  Most recently, Conner has taken on pole vault in track.  He didn't make it past the first round in his first track meet, but the fact that he is willing to try something so challenging is awesome!
Caitlyn decided to try out for junior high cheerleader.  She went in knowing that all but a couple of girls participated in competitive cheer or cheer classes while she wasn't even sure what a herkie was.  During the week of tryouts, she worked hard, had fun, and had the best attitude.  She ended up not making it, but I was so proud of her for trying.
I am so thankful that they both are willing to try new things and not let the fear of failure hold them back.  I have spent much of my life allowing fear to control me, and there are many times I have to claim 2 Timothy 1:7.
"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."


No comments:

Post a Comment