Sunday, December 4, 2011

Call Us C-R-A-Z-Y!

So, you will never guess how we chose to spend our morning today...running!  No, it was not my idea.  Last year Chad and Kris (our pastor and friend) ran a half marathon.  It was tough and cold, but they did it!  Well, Chad convinced me that I could do the half, and he and Kris decided to conquer the full marathon.  I actually did a good job training until November hit.  I was not as disciplined or consistent in my training.  Before today, the longest I had run was 6 miles. 
It was 43 degrees outside and rained on and off all morning.  At one point there was even some sleet!  I am happy to say that I finished the race and even ran the whole thing.  Now I will say the last four miles were painfully slow.  I had people walking that passed me!  As I was running, Bible verses continuously popped in my head. 
1 Corinthians 9:24 says, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it."
 Philippians 3:14 says, "I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
And one that I repeated often, "But many who are first will be last, and the last first."  Matthew 19:30

As I ran, I also thought of my mom who is in a wheelchair.  She cannot walk much less run.  She is such an inspiration to me.  I also thought of my best friend from high school.  She was a runner in school, and I went to many of her meets to cheer her on.  She has been in the hospital all weekend and not feeling well.  Please pray for her.

We wouldn't typically spend a Sunday running, but there was a purpose for our running.  We ran to help raise money and awareness for World Vision.  It is a wonderful Christian organization that ministers to children in impoverished areas around the world.  We have two children that we sponsor, and it is so neat to hear from them and know that we are helping meet their physical, educational, and spiritual needs.

Will I do it again next year?  Who knows.  For now, I am going to rest and recover from this one!


Our medals

No comments:

Post a Comment